This was loved so much a couple of years ago that it wouldn't be Christmas without a glass after dinner!.
· 300g/10½oz mixed dried fruit (sultanas, currants, raisins)
· 75g/3oz caster sugar
· 2 cinnamon sticks
· 6 cloves
· ½ whole nutmeg, finely grated
· 1 orange, zest only, finely grated
· 1 unwaxed lemon, zest only, finely grated
- Mix the dried fruit with the sugar, cinnamon sticks, mixed spice, cloves, grated nutmeg and citrus zest in a largish sealable jar ( you can just pop it all into a large bowl and cover with cling film ! ).
- Pour over the vodka.
- Place in the fridge and leave for 3 days, stirring once each day.
- Line a sieve with a double layer of fine muslin and place over a large, clean jug.
- Pour the dried fruit and vodka mixture into the sieve and allow to drip through into the jug.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle.
It all looks pretty murkey at first but - although it doesn't clear - it does look far more appetising by the time you get to drink it.
I'll post a photo when the straining and bottling takes place.