Sunday 14 February 2021

Gluten Free Mini Cheddars


 I'd almost forgotten about this recipe blog that actually started so long ago. I posted so many recipes that in actual fact I still use. 

Food blogs are in themselves quite time consuming and so much has happened in the last 5 years that it has been easy to neglect ( abandon ! ) this and power on with all manner of other pursuits - however - given the rather strained environment in which we now live, it may be an idea to revisit this little blog and give it some love - maybe - I'll see how I get on with a couple of new posts .....

Having experimented with a gluten free diet for the month of January, this recipe just seemed to  pop up on my Instagram and .... given my love for all things cheesy, it was an easy step to hop into the kitchen and make these with gay abandon.

I actually can't remember the page I nicked the recipe from unfortunately ( I can always pop a thank you in late if I find it ) but its dead easy and the whole house smelt of cheese - absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

Ingredients:

  • 100g plain gluten free flour 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 35g cold unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp cold water
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 35g finely grated mature Cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp Xanthum Gum
Add all the dry ingredients to a clean bowl and stir to mix. Chop the butter into small chunks and rub in to the flour mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs - a la pastry -
Add the grated cheese to the mix then the oil and water , bring the mix together to a nice doughy ball, knead just for a minute wrap in cling film and pop into the fridge for an hour.
Now , I got a little - distracted here and collected my sad ball of dough the next day, it was pretty crumbly and hard to manage but - with a pair of warm hands and a little love , it became quite soft and rollable again - phew!

Roll the dough out to about 4mm thick ( slightly less than a pound coin ) and cut out with teeny cutter. I scratched around and found a little vodka shot glass - perfect -
Pop into a preheated oven for about 8 - 10 minutes at  220'C / 200'C Fan / Gas 6 
Wait until you can't stand it anymore and eat like its your last meal
AMAZING !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment