Monday 2 July 2012

Kedgeree

I've wanted to make this for the longest time but have never got round to it. I don't know why as every single time I see it cooked on the T.V. I get a yearning for it. Anyway, Saturday morning ( as usual ) I was noodling about watching James Martin and there they were - Two Fat Ladies - making kedgeree and huevos rancheros. Although I love the idea of huevos rancheros, I didn't actually like the recipe that was featured but the kedgeree looked really good. We were having smoked haddock for breakfast on Saturday anyway so one more fillet to be poached was dead easy. Anyway, this is how it went:



1 lb smoked haddock
1 medium onion finely chopped
4oz butter
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
12oz basmati rice
4 hard boiled eggs ( I used 2 ) roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of fresh parsley finely chopped

Simmer the haddock in salty water to cover for about 10-15 minutes, leave to cool, de-skin and flake.
Fry the onion in the butter and spices until soft and golden.
Cook the rice until just cooked and drain - allow to cool a little a dry out.
Combine all ingredients. Done.




The photo is a little on the pale side as the finished dish was more yellow. It's delicious and, as we didn't eat it for dinner, it nuked up beautifully today for lunch at work. I reckon that this will serve 3  maybe 4 servings depending how hungry you are. I have changed the recipe from the original as I didn't really want all the cream and I probably put in a little more spice, but that's the beauty of finding these recipes, you can just kind of mess with them to suit your taste.

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment