Thursday 16 August 2012

Summer veg and goats cheese frittata.

What with the calorie restriction and Sams new vegetarian lifestyle, it seemed like a good idea to embrace some veggie food ( intermittently ) and the perfect place to start was with a book that I bought Sam a while back. We had a plumbing meltdown in the kitchen and Sam came to my rescue so he was rewarded with a copy of HFW's Veg . Lovely book with a couple of recipes that I keep meaning to try. The only fly in the ointment is that Mr Debs is a committed carnivore and every suggestion of a lovely veggie meal is met with    ' Sounds great, can I have a pork chop with it? .

Anyway, as we are all dieting, there is a little more flexibilty in the camp so I made this lovely dish for myself and Sam and the big guy had roasted chicken thighs with extra hot piri piri sauce - a not insubstantial 1000 kcals.

Serves 4-6

400g Waxy new potatoes sliced into 5mmish slices
About 300g mixed summer veg - I used asparagus tips, fresh peas and broccoli
Few squirts of spray olive oil
2 Bunches spring onions chopped
Bunch chives
7 Large Eggs
75g  Goats cheese - soft or crumbly
Salt and pepper

In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, boil potatoes for a couple of minutes, add all the summer veg      ( not spring onions) and boil for a few minutes until just cooked - drain well.

In a large frying pan add onions to spray oil and gently fry until soft, add all the veg and turn over gently just for a couple of minutes.
Whisk eggs well and add salt and pepper - add to frying pan.
Gently move veg about so that it has an even distribution of veggies for each slice and leave to cook for a few minutes until still slightly eggy on the top.
Crumble goats cheese and chopped chives onto the top of your fritatta and pop under a hot grill until sizzling.




Mmmmmm veggies



This was really nice with a huge salad. I worked out ( yawn ) that cut into four pieces, each slice is about 280 kcals...not a lot really as it made a substantial supper. I think that the next time I make it I would ommit the goats cheese and use some strong cheddar instead as I found the goats cheese gave it a kind of sour taste without really enhancing the whole dish.

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment