Tuesday 25 October 2011

Bramley Apple, Custard and Honey Tart

I was looking for a new apple recipe for this competition next Sunday and, having got this book for my birthday, decided to give this one a whirl. I'll write up the recipe and then relay all the problems that I encountered!

Serves 4-6

1 quantity of  sweet shortcrust pastry, baked blind

Filling
2 large Bramley apples cored and peeled roughly
caster sugar to taste
1 large Cox's apple cored, peeled and sliced thinly
20g unsalted butter
4 medium free-range egg yolks
2 free- range eggs
2 tablespoons runny honey
700mls double cream

To serve
1 Large Cox's apple
Icing sugar

Preheat oven to 160c/325f/gas 3, Put sliced  Bramleys into a pan with a splash of water and cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft. Beat in enough sugar to taste.

Fry sliced Cox's apple slices in melted butter until golden.

Place the cooled apple puree into the bottom of the pastry case and the place cox's on top.

In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, eggs and honey. Place the cream in a small pan and bring to the boil. When boiling, whisk the cream into the egg mixture, beating all the time. Pour into the pastry case, over the apple and bake for 20 minutes, until the mixture has set and is golden brown.

If you want to garnish with caramelized apple, peel and core the cox's apple and slice. Sprinkle with icing sugar and toast under a hot grill until caramelized.
Serve warm or at room temp with cream

No piccy here I'm afraid as I  wasn't sure it was anywhere near pretty enough. It tasted really lovely but it won't be winning me any prizes next Sunday.

Anyway, to my problems.

The pastry shrank like mad so when I poured in my egg mixture it ran all over the inside of the pastry ( and all over the floor ).

There was way too much egg mixture so ended up making an egg custard as well.

Because the pastry had already shrunk the edges were really messy, not nice and clean and tidy.

I would make this again because it tasted so nice but not competition standard.

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment