Wednesday 26 October 2011

Squidgy Spiced Apple Cake

Ok, the tart didn't turn out so well, I thought that I'd have a try at an apple cake ( the competition on Sunday being apple related ). This recipe looked very easy so here it goes:

Serves 6-8

125g unsalted butter
225g Dark Muscovado sugar
2 Free range eggs - lightly beaten
225g Plain Flour
2 tspn Baking powder
2 tspn cinnamon
1tspn nutmeg
300g cooking apples - peeled, cored and diced

2 tbspn clear runny honey
2 tbspn demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 160c/140c fan oven gas 3
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy add eggs slowly beating well each time. Add sifted flour baking powder and spices carefully. Add apples and spoon into a buttered  springform tin 20cm.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour or until risen and brown.
Take cake out of oven and while still warm spoon over honey/sugar mix ( see below )
This will keep well for 3-4 days if wrapped well in foil.


This was so easy and possibly the flattest cake I have ever made. I have made a couple of changes to the recipe and if I make it again I would change the sugar topping thing. It still looks kind of gritty so next time I would melt the honey and sugar together first and then drizzle over the top.  Just got to try it now and see if it's a possibility for the competition. Where are the teenagers when you need them ??

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment