Sunday 13 January 2013

Paul Hollywood's Swirled Chocolate Marble Cake.

Having received a food mixer for Christmas from Mr Debs it was time to put it to the test. I've always used an electric hand mixer up until now so it felt strange handing over power to the machine. Firstly I have to say that it was really noisy - much noisier than old faithfull - but I did get used to it as time went on. It still feels odd and I don't know if it's just me but I kind of missed having the 'feel' of the mixture. I really couldn't tell if it was the right consistency. Time will tell with this one but my gut feeling is that I will get used to it eventually although I think I'll miss the feeling of mixing by hand. Yes....confused.


Serves 8-10

250g Plain flour
200g Unsalted softened butter
200g Caster sugar
40mls Whole milk
1/2Tspn Vanilla extract
3 Large eggs
3Tspns Baking powder
2 Tspns Cocoa powder
Icing sugar to dust

Pre-Heat oven to 180c / 350f / Gas 4
Line a 1kg loaf tin with parchment paper
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, 180g of the sugar and the vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time then add the baking powder, flour and 2 tablespoons of the milk carefully until all mixed.
Spoon two thirds into your loaf tin and then add in the cocoa, remaining sugar and milk to the cake mixture left in your bowl.
Spoon the chocolate cake mixture on to the top of your vanilla cake mixture and swirl really gently together. Don't be tempted to mix together too much as this will just give you a chocolate cake with no swirling!

Place into your oven for 55 minutes, at that time put a skewer into the centre to see if it is cooked. If the skewer does not come out clean place cake back into the oven for a further 5-10 minutes and try again.
Once cooked remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool. Once completely cooled dust with a little icing sugar to pretty it up.





Will post a picture of the inside as soon as I get to cut it.

Debs

No comments:

Post a Comment