Saturday 16 February 2013

Kanelbullar

Well this particular journey ( I really hate that overused term) started with my work colleague Kim announcing that he was leaving this coming Friday. Now, Kim and I have our own particular journey ( oh no, doing it again) with a few ups and downs along the way but I couldn't let him go without making a gesture, and what better gesture than attempting to cook something from his homeland.

Now, other than  Ikea meatballs, Swedish cuisine has pretty much passed me by so I had to get googling - and quick. This recipe seemed to tick all the boxes and I had almost all the ingredients to hand so today was the day to put on the music in the kitchen, chuck the cat out and get kneading. Oh boy, this was a lot of kneading...and with a particularly painful wrist......I made far too many having doubled the original recipe so ended up with enough to feed the whole neighbourhood. So here is how it went:



Makes 25 buns


35g ( 1 1/4 oz ) Yeast

100g ( 3 1/2 oz ) Caster sugar
300mls ( 1 1/2 cups ) Milk
1 Egg ( more about that later )
120g ( 4oz ) Butter
1 tspn Salt
1 tbsn Ground cardamom
750g ( 26oz ) Plain flour
25 Muffin cases


Filling

100g ( 4oz ) Butter at room temperature
50g ( 2oz ) Caster sugar
2 tbsn cinnamon

Glaze


1 Egg beaten and mixed with 2 tbspns water

Pearl sugar

Preheat oven to 220c/425f
Crumble the yeast into a bowl and stir in a few tablespoons of milk. Melt the butter and add the remaining milk to it. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the yeast mixture and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth. Cover with a cloth and leave for about 30 minutes to rise.

Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 1/8 th of a inch thick and about 12 inches wide.


Spread the butter evenly on top of the dough.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the butter.

Roll the dough up length ways into a sausage shape and cut into 25 even sized pieces. Place into muffin cases on a large tray and cover with a cloth for an hour until they have doubled in size.


After an hourish, brush with the beaten egg and water mix, sprinkle with sugar and bake in the centre of the oven for about 5-7 minutes.
Allow to cool.







These look lovely but, I forgot the flippin egg! It was far too late once I had realised so I had to just muddle through and hope for the best. I don't know how much difference the egg would have made - but - they were pretty dry ( although tasty ). 

Would I make these again, I don't know. It was a lot of work and I can't be sure that omitting the egg accounts for all the woes with these.

Debs



No comments:

Post a Comment